I realized that i had nothing describing the project, for those who don't know what it is. I am a Minerva Fellow for Union College, working in conjunction with the Harpswell Foundation, and am in Cambodia from July 2009 through April 2010 to set up a co-operative motorbike repair shop. The goal is to provide jobs for several men from Tramung Chrum, a village that the Harpswell Foundation has worked with in the past. Any income beyond what is required to pay the workers and run the business will go to TC.

Monday, September 14, 2009

A tentative good news post

The dirt bike appears to be appeased. This entry is full of techno-babble.

This morning I adjusted the valves, was extremely careful to not rotate the magneto past the TDC mark, and went for it. When done, i rode it around and it sounded okay. So far today things have remained good.

After doing some internet research, and listening/watching to youtube video's of dirtbikes with cam chain slap, i have come to a conclusion.

When Tony and I adjusted the valves before, we both went past the TDC mark, and rotated the magneto clockwise to line it up. This put tension on the wrong side of the cam chain, and made it slack on the tension-ed side. Somehow this slack bit stayed in the wrong place, and made the chain flop around while the bike was running at low RPM's. It's gone away, and hopefully it stays that way. This would be good, because it means my oil pump is working, and my engine is less likely to munch itself to bits.

I also performed an extremely intricate prayer ceremony to the machine gods, who imbue all things mechanical with their animating spirits. There was much incense and chanting in Latin, and voodoo. And, uh..... alright so I didnt actually do this. But if the noise comes back, I may. This is serious business.

Ned

1 comment:

  1. Being careful not to rotate the magneto past the TDC mark has been key to my own success! Obviously, I have no idea what you are talking about, but I would like to have seen the prayer ceremony. Maybe you could write a book called "Zen and the art of magneto rotation."
    J. Madancy

    ReplyDelete