I realized that i had nothing describing the project, for those who don't know what it is. I am a Minerva Fellow for Union College, working in conjunction with the Harpswell Foundation, and am in Cambodia from July 2009 through April 2010 to set up a co-operative motorbike repair shop. The goal is to provide jobs for several men from Tramung Chrum, a village that the Harpswell Foundation has worked with in the past. Any income beyond what is required to pay the workers and run the business will go to TC.

Monday, December 21, 2009

Fairly dull update

Hi,

So I feel like I should make it clear that my crisis is, for the most part, resolved. I have calmed down, and looking back think that I wrote my last blog post at the peak of my anxiety. It was interesting to get people's responses. I very much appreciated the support I received, and was glad that people were able to connect to the emotions I was enduring.

Not much has happened since that post. I came into Phnom Penh with my translator Sai Ha, and we bought an air compressor, which is a fairly serious investment. Part of me hoped that spending a significant chunk of change (about $200) would motivate me towards doing more. As of yet, it hasn't succeeded to the degree I hoped for.

The most important recent news is that the two guys from Tramoung Chrum who are going to moto repair school in Phnom Penh will be finished in two more weeks. I'm quite excited for them to get back to SLP, because we will then absolutely have to open as a business.

My goals for the next two weeks are to build up some parts inventory, get more shelving (for storage and work surfaces) built and installed in the shop, and finally, to enjoy the holiday season with friends in Phnom Penh.

I hope everyone is well, and enjoys/enjoyed Christmas/Hanukkah/New Years, etc.

Ned.

P.S. I don't have any pictures of pies, forgive me. We made a couple of apple pies but used super fine (it was for dim sum steamed buns and stuff) flour, which made the crust powdery instead of flaky, which was odd. So the quest for the perfect apple pie/pie crust is ongoing.

5 comments:

  1. Dear Ned:
    So glad to see you have regained your spirits! Your resilience and introspection are truly admirable. I think one's true character shows when things don't go one's way. You are an inspiration.
    Best,
    Anastasia

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anastasia's commnet is true. I am going to make it simple on myself and say I completely agree. Happy New Year and I hope you are getting some free time.

    Tom

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy 2010, Ned!
    You will look back on all this with pride and nostalgia.
    Love,
    Anastasia

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks guys.

    Happy new year to you as well.

    I'll try and update soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ned, I'm bored - I need an update from someone living a more exciting life than me!

    J. Madancy

    ReplyDelete