I realized that i had nothing describing the project, for those who don't know what it is. I am a Minerva Fellow for Union College, working in conjunction with the Harpswell Foundation, and am in Cambodia from July 2009 through April 2010 to set up a co-operative motorbike repair shop. The goal is to provide jobs for several men from Tramung Chrum, a village that the Harpswell Foundation has worked with in the past. Any income beyond what is required to pay the workers and run the business will go to TC.

Tuesday, February 9, 2010

I don't know what to call this one. Just an update, I guess.

Hello everyone.

I'm in Phnom Penh with Sai Ha, picking up more parts and tools.

I broached the idea of having the mechanics go get more training from another shop, it didn't really go over that well. There was approximately zero enthusiasm for it. I'm not sure they totally understand what I am proposing, because they thought it would be just like the school they went to, which isn't what I am aiming for.

So I'll bring it up again in a few days, maybe go to another shop and try to explain it to the owners, in the hopes that they would understand and take my guys on. Basically I want to pay to have them employed at another shop, where they can learn from someone who knows more than I do.

Anyway, despite the troubles getting that idea across, and my fear about the shop not getting customers because of the piston debacle, all is not lost. Apparently the shop's reputation is not as damaged as I feared in my semi-panicked state. Today another person is coming to get their piston replaced, so we'll see how that goes. There were other customers coming in over the weekend as well, one to get an oil change and one wanted to get his suspension fixed.

I'll update soon, and try to get a picture of the sign up as well.

Take Care.

Ned.

3 comments:

  1. Dear Ned:
    Not all is lost! That's good news, my friend!
    Where I come from they say, "Moscow wasn't built overnight." Take heart, and persevere.
    Here's rooting for you!
    Best,
    Anastasia

    ReplyDelete
  2. Imagine how Toyota's management must feel. Reputations are destroyed by multiple events not one incident even for start-ups.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Anastasia, for being so supportive. It helps, and I think if you read the newest post you will find more good news.

    Boat52, I love the Toyota comment, first of all because that whole situation has been blowing me away, and because you are correct. They are in quite a pickle. Hopefully I will not have to testify in front of Congress (as Mr. Toyoda may have to) if things go up in flames.

    Thanks for the comments.


    Ned.

    ReplyDelete